A long time ago now as I first entered my homeroom beginning high school at Saint Mary’s in Lynn, I looked up and saw a poster on the wall with these words:
This is the first day of the rest of your life.
It was true then. And it is true today as well. This is the first day of the rest of my life. And the first day of yours as well. God is so good to us. Constantly we are given the inestimable grace of new beginnings. Most of them pass unnoticed. But on January 1 of each succeeding year we tend at least to stop and note.
To note much:
- the passage of time
- the change since last we looked
- the person we have become since the last year began
- the friends we have seen less and so all the more precious our meetings
- the way the world around us looks and feels, from just beyond our front door to the other side of the planet
- the opportunities that this new day, and this new year, place before us.
This is the first day of the rest of our lives. Begin now. Have fun. Check in with God at least daily. Love one another.